Sign In

The Bissell Covered Bridge is a historic covered bridge on Heath Road over Mill Brook. This truss bridge was built in 1951 by the T. J. Harvey Company, to a design by the Timber Engineering Company (TECO) and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (DOT). The bridge is 92 feet (28 m) long, and rests on stone-faced reinforced concrete abutments. It was the first covered bridge to be built in Massachusetts in the 20th century, replacing an earlier covered bridge that dated to about 1881. The bridge is sited near an old mill dam and pond, and is not far from the house of Henry W. Bissell, for whom it is named. The bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.

Location

Add Review

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Overall
Accessibility
Photographable

Added By Ash

ashley rivera

Nail lacquer enthusiast, leaf peeper, storm-watcher and obsessive picture-taker. Lover of backroads, covered bridges, lighthouses and landscapes. Will never turn down an invitation to catch sunrise or sunset.

1 person bookmarked this place