Cuttyhunk is a small resort town/island located between Buzzards Bay and Vineyard Sound.
Cuttyhunk Island may be one of my favorite spots in New England. Quaint, unpretentious, unspoiled, and naturally gorgeous. There are approximately 50 homes on the island. Many of these casual properties have been owned by the same families for generations. There is one market, two small inns, an ice cream shop, café, and a single restaurant at the local fishing club which exclusively serves breakfast. The beaches are pristine, and the entire island can be explored by foot in under an hour. There are very few cars on Cuttyhunk- golfcart is the preferable way to travel.
Cuttyhunk is ferry accessible from New Bedford, MA. Easy day trip. I usually arrive on the 9:00am ferry, have breakfast at the fishing club, explore/beach for the afternoon, and depart on the 3:00pm ferry. A round trip ticket is $52.00.
· Camera- this island is absolutely stunning… so many photo opportunities!
· Layers- the weather can change dramatically in an instant.
· Water – there’s only one market on the island.
· Snacks/lunch- again, there’s only one market on the island.
· Comfortable walking shoes
· Additional beverages- Cuttyhunk is dry (BYOBeach Wine).
photography by @davidlockwood