Due to increased seasonal ferry traffic, Congress approved $15,000 on June 23, 1874, “for a light-house and fog signal at or near Egg Rock.” Egg Rock has a prime location sitting at the entrance to Frenchman’s Bay. Construction was delayed until June 1875 due to difficulties securing title to the island. Landing material at the site was a challenge, according to the Lighthouse Board, and was comparable to the situation at Avery Rock, where a lighthouse with identical plans was being built. Both spots lacked an easy landing spot for boats.
By July 1, 1875, lots of work had been accomplished on Egg Rock. The lighthouse foundation had been placed on Egg Rock by July 1, 1875, the brickwork was about to complete, and the ironwork was finished and ready to be installed, but the station would not be operational until November 1, 1875. Aside from the 40-foot-tall lighthouse, a keeper’s home and a fog station building were added. In 1976, the lighthouse was automated by the United States Coast Guard.
Egg Rock was one of the numerous Maine islands known for having an abundance of eggs. Despite the fact that seabirds abandoned Egg Rock after the lighthouse was built, the island’s lighthouse was one of seven handed to the US Fish & Wildlife Service in 1998 for breeding bird protection. Although the US Fish & Wildlife Service owns the property, it is managed by the Coast Guard. The lighthouse is still functioning today and flashes every 40 seconds. It is not open to the public.