Fort Foster is a historic fort that was active from 1901-1946. It is located on the southwest tip of Gerrish Island in the Kittery Point area of Kittery, Maine. The area was purchased by the US government in 1872, and the fort was constructed as part of the large-scale Endicott Program from 1898 to 1901. When the fort was opened, it had two gun batteries. Several weapons were added and removed over the years.
Today, the fort has been turned into Fort Foster Park. The 88-acre park features swimming beaches, walking trails, retired military weapons/buildings, and a boardwalk. Visitors also can take in great views of the entrance to Portsmouth Harbor, Whaleback Light, Portsmouth Harbor Light, and Fort Constitution.
The park is open to all visitors on a daily basis from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., with the inbound gate closing at 7:30 p.m. There is a fee for driving into the park of about $20 which can be paid by credit card only at the gatehouse. The price is the one drawback of this beautiful park. Luckily, the fee is only usually charged in the summer.