The New Hampshire State House is the state capitol building of New Hampshire, and it is located at 107 North Main Street in Concord. The New Hampshire General Court, Governor, and Executive Council are all housed in the state capital building. The structure was built on a block bounded on the north by Park Street (named for the architect, Stuart James Park), the east by Main Street, the south by Capitol Street, and the west by North State Street.
In the year 1814, the first debates on the construction of a suitable state capitol building in New Hampshire took place. It was, without a doubt, a memorable year. Concord, Hopkinton, and Salisbury each offered seven thousand dollars for the honor of having the state house built in their town. Concord won in the end, and by 1816, plans to build there had been finalized. Although the new facility was only $82,000 in cost, it provided ample space for the legislative and committees, the Governor and Council, the Secretary of State, the Treasurer, and the library. The builder, Stuart J. Park, is remembered for his outstanding work, and a Concord street, Park Street, is named after him. In 1819, the legislature convened its first session in the new structure.
Over the years many additions were made and remodeling was completed on the building. Be sure to check out the beautiful gold-domed New Hampshire State House when visiting Concord!