The Mount Washington Hotel is located near Mount Washington in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire. Charles Alling Gifford was in charge of the design. Joseph Stickney, a Concord, New Hampshire native, built the hotel between 1900 and 1902 for $1.7 million (about $52,884,000 today). The hotel was a success, but World War II forced it to close in 1942.
The large property was purchased for around $450,000 by a Boston syndicate. In the year 1944. The Bretton Woods Conference was held in the hotel in July 1944. The founding of the International Monetary Fund and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development were two of the conference’s significant accomplishments.
The Mount Washington Hotel and Resort is one of the few true grand hotels in the White Mountains, including an 18-hole Donald Ross-designed golf course and a 9-hole A.H. Findlay-designed course.
In 1986, it was designated as a National Historic Landmark.
In the beginning of 2009, the Mount Washington Hotel and Resort went through extensive additions. 50,000 sq ft of space was added to the resort which included a spa, a recreation center, new dining facilities, and a conference center. In December 2015, the hotel and the Bretton Woods Mountain Resort were purchased by Omni Mount Washington LLC. It is a 4-star hotel.