John Douglass erected the first Swift River bridge on this site in 1850. It supported local commerce successfully until the spring of 1869, providing much-needed access to the north via West Side Road. Heavy rains had swollen the river at the time, and the surging waters had lifted the bridge from its foundation, flipped it around, and sped it downstream. The current Swift River Covered Bridge was completed in 1870 on the same site as the original. The current bridge stretches about 130 feet long and features a Paddleford truss with added arches style.
The Swift River Bridge was deemed unnecessary in 1974 when a new concrete and steel bridge was built nearby. Today, the bridge is just open to walkers and not cars. It is a lovely place to stop and photograph.