The Taylor Sawmill is located in Derry, New Hampshire within the 71-acre Ballard State Forest. The mill is named after Robert Taylor, who purchased the property in 1799 and began operating an “up and down” sawmill similar to the current one around 1805. When Ernest R. Ballard bought the land in 1939, the original mill had mostly been sold for scrap. Ballard was passionate about the property and the sawmill which was originally on the site. He found an antique sawmill elsewhere in New Hampshire which he restored. He then installed this restored sawmill into the property.
Ballard generously donated this entire property, including the sawmill, a nearby house, and 71 acres of land, to the State of New Hampshire in 1953.
Caption by Whereaboutss user: @tom