The first lighthouse at Nayatt Point was built in 1828 to mark the narrow channel at the entrance to the Providence River that runs between Nayatt Point on the east and the reef off Conimicut Point. Though greatly expanded, the original keeper’s house still stands today and is the oldest keeper’s dwelling in Rhode Island. A fourth-order Fresnel lens was used in this lighthouse, but Nayatt Point Light was still considered inadequate, partly because it was only at thirty-one feet above the river. On November 1, 1868, the fresnel lens was transferred from Nayatt Point Ligh to the new Conimicut Point Lighthouse, and Nayatt Point was deactivated. Nayatt Point Lighthouse is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, but as it is a private residence, it is not open to the public. The lighthouse is best viewed from the water. A fourth-order lens from a lightship is presently used in the tower as an unofficial light.