The Owls Head Light is a functioning navigational aid located in the community of Owls Head in Knox County, Maine, It stands at the entrance of Rockland Harbor on western Penobscot Bay.
The lighthouse was established with the construction of a round rubblestone tower in 1825. In 1852, a 30-foot-tall cylindrical brick tower on a granite foundation replaced the earlier tower that was poorly built. Separate from the lighthouse, a keeper’s residence was built in 1854. The American Lighthouse Foundation now has its main offices in the cottage.
The United States Coast Guard owns the lighthouse and licenses it to the American Lighthouse Foundation. Owls Head Light Station was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Caption by Whereaboutss user: @tom